Wednesday, August 20, 2014

*Fear God?*

"The fear of the Lord leads to life; then one rests content, untouched by trouble." - Proverbs 19:23



Fearing God, I guess, is something I never quite understood or I understood the wrong way. In our culture we push the "good" emotions to the front, Especially to our children "Jesus loves me this I know..." How can you fear someone who loves you more than you could imagine? 


When I was young I tried to mix the two together but failed. I had heard that God loved me and cared for me but I thought that was only when I was being good. When I would sin I would ask Jesus back into my heart again thinking I had lost him because I had done wrong. That fear I guess was a good start but my understanding of unconditional love was nonexistent.


I will talk about discovering Gods true love another time because it is so so so important and life changing, but this blogs title is not "Gods Love?" So lets talk about what truly fearing God looks like and why it is a good thing. Because without truly fearing God we can never dive into his true love he has planned for us.

God created the world and has control over everything. He is so powerful. The devil can do nothing without Gods permission. And people ask why would God allow this (insert bad thing here) horrible thing to happen? And once again that is a discussion for another time, but I think a part of that reason is because we need to learn to fear him. If everything was sunshine and rainbows why would we ever want God? We need to experience pain and fear to realize how powerful and amazing God truly is. And to experience true content and joy.


How many of you worry? I have anxiety and I am always thinking of the future. This is one of the biggest things In my life that I need to change. This last spring I took calculus and after the first big test (there where three in the term) I had 100% in the class. It had been since I was really young that I got 100% on a math test and I was excited about it but even more than that it made me feel pressured. I wasn't happy about my A in the class I was worried I would lose my 100% in the class after the next test. I did end up loosing my 100% in the class, but in final grades that doesn't show up anyways. I still got an A in the class which is the best anyone could have done. So why did I worry? Everything is in Gods hands and he has a plan for my life so why do I worry about trivial things? The only thing I should fear is God. 


With everyone in the bible who ever saw God they were terrified and then God said fear not. I agree with Francis Chan, author of the BASIC series (see bellow), when he says that if we had the chance to see God it would be so much easier to fear him. This is because being in Gods presence would be such a terrifying experience. Then when God would say "fear not" we would so easily never fear anything again knowing that this all powerful God is on our side. 


I want to surrender and truly learn to fear God, not just respect him, fear him! And then he will tell me to "fear not." And because of experiencing that true utter fear of him I will never have to worry about anything again; knowing my life is in his caring hands. 


I think my "homework" for this post should be studying the times in the bible when people meet God. I want to learn how to reach that point of utter fear so I will fear no more. So I am going to study and then report back to you how it goes. How did you learn how to truly fear God? Got any good tips? Let me know in the comments. I would love to try them out!


What inspired me to write this post was 
"BASIC. - A devotional film by Francis Chan." I encourage you 
to watch this video bellow and be inspired as well. 




L.O.V.E YOU!
Renie 

For my Youtube click here 

For my Pinterest where I pin stuff that I create click here

For my Pinterest where I pin random stuff I enjoy click here

For my Twitter click here

For my Instagram click here


No comments:

Post a Comment